2018-19 Prekindergarten Registration is now open at each elementary campus.
About Prekindergarten in Pflugerville ISD
Pflugerville ISD’s 2018-2019 prekindergarten program offers full-day classes in three languages (English, Spanish, Vietnamese) at all elementary campuses that serve students grades PK-5. The full-day prekindergarten instructional day is 7:35 a.m. - 2:50 p.m.
- Transportation will not be provided for prekindergarten students.
- Students are zoned to their attendance zone home campus.
- If the home campus does not offer needed bilingual services, the bilingual prekindergarten student will attend prekindergarten at a bilingual campus.
A child must be at least four years of age on September 1 and meet at least one of the following criteria for eligiblity-based (free) prekindergarten:
- Educationally Disadvantaged - Child is eligible to participate in the free/reduced meal program, including students who receive the following:
- Receive Medicaid Free or Medicaid Reduced Program benefits or
- Receive Supplemental Nutrition Assistantance Program benefits or
- Receive Disaster Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program benefits or
- Receive Temporary Assistance for Needy Families
- Limited English Proficient - Child is unable to speak and comprehend the English language
- Military Parent - Child of an active duty member of the armed forces (including state military forces or reserve component) or is the child of a member of the armed services who was injured or killed while serving on active duty
- Homeless - Child qualifies as defined by the McKinney-Vento Homeless Assistance Act
- Foster Care - Child is in, or has been in, conservatorship of the Texas Department of Family & Protective Services
- Star of Texas Eligible Parent - Child of a peace officer, firefighter, or an emergency medical first responder as defined by Section 3106 of the Government Code
Pflugerville ISD also offers tuition-based prekindergarten for children who are four years old on or before September 1 who do not meet the eligibility criteria for placement in prekindergarten, but whose parents would like for them to participate. Tuition-based prekindergarten is offered on a space available basis. As of May 22, 2018, tuition-based prekindergarten for the 2018-19 year is closed.
Full-day prekindergarten tuition rate is $650 per month. Registration for 2018-19 tuition-based prekindergarten is located at the PfISD Extended Day Office, 1401 W. Pecan Street, Pflugerville, TX 78660. The Extended Day office is located in the portable building adjacent the main PfISD administration building.During the 2018-19 school year, tuition-based prekindergarten will be offered at these campuses:
- Vernagene Mott Elementary
- Murchison Elementary
- Riojas Elementary
- Rowe Lane Elementary
2018-2019 Prekindergarten Registration
Students who may be eligible for prekindergarten can register at their attendance zone campus beginning May 9, 2018 at 9:00 AM.
Parents must bring the appropriate documents to the campus where their child is zoned to attend kindergarten.To qualify and register for prekindergarten, the parent/guardian must bring the following:• Child’s up-to-date immunization records• Child’s birth certificate• Child’s social security card• Proof of Residency (2 documents required)*Cell phone and cable bills will not be accepted as a proof of residency• Accompanying Parent or Guardian with photo ID• Proof of income - one month’s worth of current pay stubs, SNAP, TANF benefits letter or Medicaid approval letter (if applicable)• Foster Care Letter (if applicable)• Military Services Human Resources letter or an official letter from commander (if applicable)• If qualifying based on Limited English Proficiency, the child must be present for language testingAttendance
Regular school attendance is essential for a student to make the most of his or her education—to benefit from teacher-led and school activities, to build each day’s learning on the previous day’s, and to grow as an individual. Absences from class may result in serious disruption of a student’s mastery of the instructional materials; therefore, the student and parent should make every effort to avoid unnecessary absences. On enrollment in prekindergarten or kindergarten, a child shall attend school according to Texas Education Code Sec. 25.085. COMPULSORY SCHOOL ATTENDANCE.
Compulsory attendance is enforced through §25.093 and Chapter 65, Texas Family Code. School employees must investigate and report violations of the state compulsory attendance law. A student absent without permission from school; from any class; from required special programs, such as additional special instruction, termed “accelerated instruction” by the state; or from required tutorials will be considered in violation of the compulsory attendance law and subject to disciplinary action.