Pflugerville ISD: A History
Founded in 1860 and named after German immigrant Henry Pfluger, Pflugerville became the center of education for the region by the 1920s, followed by consolidation of rural schools in the ‘30s. Pflugerville Independent School District was formally organized in 1936.
Since its inception, the school district has transitioned from a handful of one-room schools to nearly 25,000 students on 30 campuses and encompassing 96 square miles. PfISD includes all or part of six municipalities including Pflugerville, Austin, Coupland, Hutto, Manor and Round Rock.
The first Pflugerville-area school opened in 1872, in a one-room building. The Lisso School was the first of a circle of rural schools supported by farming communities: Dessau, Richland, Rowe Lane, Center Point Gregg and Highland.
Many of the district’s current campuses were constructed in the 1980s, but its history traces back to the “Red Brick School,” built in 1921 and damaged by a tornado in 1957, as well as campuses for African-American and Mexican-American students in use before integration.
Also, built in 1934 by the Works Progress Administration, the district’s “Rock Gym” received a Texas Historical Marker in October 2012 and remains utilized by the district.
The community gained national attention from 1958 to 1962 when Pflugerville High School won 55 consecutive football games, becoming national schoolboy football champions. A football field was later named Kuempel Stadium in honor of Charles and Hubert “Hub” Kuempel, the coaches who built the winning football program.
Population growth continued after the 1980s, a situation that challenged the district to build schools to accommodate the rapidly expanding student population and, at the same time, maintain the quality of education the community had come to expect.
Campuses most recently were built in 2012, 2013 and 2014, and construction has begun on the district’s fourth high school, which is anticipated to provide relief to Hendrickson High School when it opens for the 2017-18 school year.
Current PfISD Campuses Year Opened Theodor Timmerman Elementary School 1987 Pflugerville High School 1973 Pflugerville Elementary School 1978 Parmer Lane Elementary School 1982 Pflugerville Middle School 1985 Northwest Elementary School 1986 Dessau Elementary School 1987 Westview Middle School 1988 Windermere Elementary School 1989 River Oaks Elementary School 1993 Robert Provan Opportunity Center 1994/2007 Brookhollow Elementary School 1995 Park Crest Middle School 1995 John B. Connally High School 1996 Spring Hill Elementary School 1996 Copperfield Elementary School 1998 Windermere Primary School 1998 Dessau Middle School 2000 Jack C. and Winnie Mae Murchison Elementary School 2000 Fannie Mae Caldwell Elementary School 2002 Wilhelmina Delco Primary School 2002 Robert E. Hendrickson High School 2003 Rowe Lane Elementary School 2005 Highland Park Elementary School 2006 Kelly Lane Middle School 2006 Wieland Elementary School 2007 Jose Riojas Elementary School 2010 Ruth Barron Elementary School 2012 Cele Middle School 2013 Leonard and Audrey Dearing Elementary School 2014
Last Modified on September 6, 2016