The mission of AVID is to close the achievement gap by preparing all students for college readiness and success in a global society.
Who is AVID?
AVID students are in the “academic middle.” That means they are often capable of completing a college preparatory path in school, but may need some support to realize their full potential. Many may be the first in their families to go to college. AVID students have the desire to go to college and are willing to put in the hard work to get there.
How does the class work?
The AVID elective class supports students as they challenge themselves in more rigorous classes. Students learn study skills, note taking, time management, and writing and research skills, all while being immersed in a college-going culture. The class also includes tutoring sessions led by college students. The AVID class provides access to information about college through field trips, guest speakers, college tutors, scholarship opportunities, and college admission requirements.
What are the expectations for AVID?
AVID recruits students who are motivated to do well and who are serious about their academic future. They are expected to:
- Enroll in one or more advanced academic class (Pre-AP classes or Algebra)
- Maintain good grades in all classes
- Keep an AVID Binder organized with all assignments and notes
- Complete all homework assignments and commit to studying every night
- Complete community service hours
- Become role models and leaders at their schools
Follow us on the PMS AVID Blog!