Northwest Elementary Update: March 20-24Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 3/11/2017
Good afternoon NES parents and Families!
Well, we’ve reached yet another Spring Break! All of our staff and students are very much looking forward to a well-deserved break. During this time off, I hope you enjoy the time with your kiddos and focus your time with your family.
- Monday, March 13-Friday, March 17
Coffee with the Principal:
- Monday, March 20 from 7:10 a.m. to 7:40 a.m. in the NES Teacher’s Lounge
- Please join me every Monday morning for discussion and fellowship as we discuss the future of Northwest Elementary!
- Tuesday, March 21 from 6:30-7:30 at the NES Library
- Dinner and childcare will be provided!
Have a wonderful weekend and a fantastic break!
Principal, Northwest Elementary
Northwest Elementary Update: March 6-10Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 3/6/2017
Good afternoon Northwest parents and families.
Well, we are about one week away from Spring Break. Seems like we just got back from the winter break!
Our staff and students are working hard to ensure our students are prepared for each day. This year we have been working on guided reading groups in order to increase the reading fluency and comprehension of all of our students.
As parents and families, reading to your child at least 20 minutes every night will greatly support your student’s growth in reading. Please see you child’s teacher for more information.
PfISD to Hold Public Hearing on District of Innovation
On Thursday, March 2, at 6 p.m., the Pflugerville ISD Board of Trustees will conduct a public hearing to consider whether PfISD should develop a local innovation plan and seek designation as a District of Innovation. At its Feb. 16 meeting, the Board adopted a resolution, in accordance with TEC 12A.001(c)(1), to consider becoming a District of Innovation. The public hearing is the next step in that process. The District of Innovation concept, passed by the 84th Legislative Session in House Bill 1842, gives traditional independent school districts most of the flexibilities available to Texas’ open-enrollment charter schools.
Coffee With the Principal
• The next coffee with the principal will be held on Monday, March 6 from 7:10-7:30 in the NES teacher’s lounge. All parents are invited to enjoy refreshments and discuss general happenings at NES. Hope to see you there!
NES 30 Year Anniversary Celebration/Spring Fling
• At our last PTO meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 21 we decided to hold the Northwest Elementary 30-Year Anniversary/Spring Fling on Saturday, April 22 from 4-6 p.m.
• In order to make this a successful event, we need your help! Please email our PTO president, Julie Schwartz (email@example.com), for more information or if you are able to contribute.
PTO Movie Night
• Friday, March 3 from 6:30-8:30 at the NES cafeteria
• Movie: “Beauty and the Beast” (original 90’s version)
• Monday, March 13-17
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 27 to March 3Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/27/2017
Good afternoon Northwest Elementary parents and families,
It’s been another amazing week here at Northwest Elementary. Our staff enjoyed a full day of professional development on Monday, Feb. 20. The professional development focused on supporting students with traumatic life experiences, restorative discipline practices, and classroom community circles. All trainings will support positive classroom management practices and allow teachers to build stronger communities within their classrooms. Below is a great example of community circles:
In addition, we had our very first parenting class on Tuesday, Feb. 21 covering student anxiety. Parents attending learned to work through their own anxieties in order to support their children with school anxieties. I found this class to be an incredibly helpful reminder to take care of myself and those around me. If you missed it, I have attached information provided here:
Coffee With the Principal
- The next coffee with the principal will be held on Monday, Feb. 27 from 7:10-7:30 in the NES teacher’s lounge. All parents are invited to enjoy refreshments and discuss general happenings at NES. Hope to see you there!
NES 30 Year Anniversary Celebration/Spring Fling
- At our last PTO meeting on Tuesday, Feb. 21 we decided to hold the Northwest Elementary 30 Year Anniversary/Spring Fling on Saturday, April 22 from 4-6 p.m.
- In order to make this a successful event, we your help! Please email our PTO president, Julie Schwartz (firstname.lastname@example.org), for more information or if you are able to contribute.
Parent Cooking Class
- April 18 from 5:30-6:30 at the NES Cafeteria
- All parents are invited to a FREE cooking class hosted by the Austin Food Bank. This hands-on cooking class will allow participants to prepare healthy food for themselves and their families. Each participant will also go home with a gift bag full of measuring cups, thermometers, grocery bags, water bottles and so much more!
- Elementary age childcare will be available for this event. See the attached for more information. RSVP invitations will be send out when we return from spring break.
PTO Movie Night
- Friday, March 3 from 6:30-8:30 at the NES cafeteria
- Movie: “Beauty and the Beast” (original 90’s version)
Have a wonderful weekend!
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 20-24Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/20/2017
Happy Friday NES parents and families! I hope you had a wonderful week.
Our 4th and 5th grade students are gearing up for the first round of the STAAR test during the week of March 27-31. While the test is over a month away, teachers and interventionist will be supporting these students to prepare for the Math/Reading (5th grade) and Writing (4th Grade) in addition to their typical academics. As always, it is extremely important that students are in attendance, get plenty of rest, and come prepared each and every day so they may do their best. Your support will go a long way to ensure your student does their best at NES!
Coffee with the Principal
Coffee with the principal will now be held every Monday from 7:10-7:40 a.m. in order to increase parent participation. Please stop by the teacher’s lounge for fellowship or to ask questions that pertain to the school. So far I have learned so much about our families and gained new ideas as how our community can support our school.
Parent Class and PTO Night
Our first parenting class, Teaching Parents how to Support Students with Testing Anxiety, will be held this Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 5:30-6:30 in the NES library. Elementary age childcare will be provided.
Directly after the parenting class, we will have our monthly PTO meeting from 6:30-7:30 in the NES library. Pizza and elementary age childcare will be provided.
We encourage you to take advantage of the H-E-B Box Top promotion event, scheduled for February 8 through the 21st. Earn 100 Bonus Box Tops when you buy 15 participating Box Top products or 60 Bonus Box Tops when you buy 10. It’s a great time to stock up on Mott’s apple juice and applesauce, Green Giant frozen veggies, Annie’s snack foods, and General Mill cereals. Click here to see a full list of participating products.
Come support our school by purchasing scented pencils in the office before school (7:10 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.) and after school (2:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.). There are five different scents: Bubble Gum, Tutti Fruitti, Jelly Bean, Cotton Candy and Sour Apple. Cost is $1 per pencil and we have a limited supply. First come, first served. Thanks for your support!
No school: Monday, Feb. 20
Picking Up Students After School
At NES, student safety is a top priority. If you pick up your student after school we ask that you either wait in the drive through line or park, walk to your student using the crosswalk, and walk back to your vehicle.
Thank you for your support in ensuring a safe transition between our school and your vehicle.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 13-17Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/13/2017
Good morning Northwest Elementary parents! I hope you all are having a glorious Thursday.
Thank you to all of our parents and students that came out to McTeacher Night last night! We certainly had a blast in serving you all. Our next outing will be at Chick-Fil-A located at 12501 Mopac Service Road on Tuesday, April 4 from 5-8 p.m.
- The district has sent communication via School Messenger to all parents about things you can do to keep your child safe while walking to school. If you did not receive this message, I am attaching it here. While there have been no threats around the Northwest Elementary community, it is always good to be proactive in order to keep our students safe.
2015-2016 Federal Report Card
- Attached you will find the 2015-2016 NES Federal Report card. If you have any specific questions regarding this document, please let me know.
Time to Celebrate!
- Northwest Elementary named its Teacher of the year, Humanitarian of the Year and Rookie Teacher of the Year yesterday afternoon. If you have a chance to congratulate each of them, please do. Each award is given based on votes received from NES staff members. We are very proud of each of them!
- Teacher of the Year: Cynthia Hernandez (Math interventionist)
- Humanitarian of the Year: Sharla Wilkinson (Librarian)
- Rookie Teacher of the Year: Tammy Morrison (Fourth-grade teacher)
- All Valentine’s Day parties will be held in Tuesday, Feb. 14 from 1:45-2:40. You should be receiving communication from your child’s teacher regarding this event.
PTO Valentine’s Dance
- The PTO will host its annual Valentine’s Dance on Friday, Feb. 17 from 6:30-8:30 here at Northwest Elementary. We hope to see you there!
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 6-10Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/7/2017
Good morning Northwest Elementary Parents! I hope everyone is doing well.
Here are some updates and reminders for the week of Feb. 6-10.
Coffee With The Principal
- Beginning Monday, Feb. 6 please join me in the teacher’s lounge at Northwest Elementary for coffee! Time will be designated for the remaining of the year to get to know all of our student’s families and to ask questions pertaining to the school. Coffee With The Principal takes place each Monday from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Hope to see you then!
Mc Teacher Night
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 5-8 p.m.
- Come join the Northwest Elementary Staff as we serve you, the parents and students of NES at McDonalds located at 13813 Burnet Rd. in Austin. We will have our crew serving meals, selling pies, and even working in the drive through!
- Northwest Elementary will receive a percentage of all sales from 5-8, either inside or drive through.
Musical Club Performance, 'Alice in Wonderland'
- Friday, Feb. 10
- Performance 1: 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Performance 2: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 11
- Performance 3: 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Northwest Elementary invites all families to our annual musical club performance, "Alice in Wonderland," on Friday, Feb. 10 and Saturday, Feb. 11. The musical club has performed at various Pflugerville ISD events including the PfISD convocation for all staff in the district. This show will surely be one of the best you have ever seen!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Northwest Update: Jan. 27Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/30/2017
Good afternoon Northwest Elementary parents! I hope you all are having a wonderful Friday.
Our campus continues to grow and change before our eyes. Last evening, over 50 parents and students showed up to school for our Science Fair Exhibition and PTO meeting. I was incredibly impressed with the complexity and amount of detail our second- to fifth-grade students put into their projects. It was truly a great evening!
Below are some updates for the month of February from Northwest Elementary.
Northwest Elementary Yearbook
- If you have any pictures of our students or staff that you would like to share, please send them to us for our 2016-2017 yearbook.
- All pictures can be sent to Mrs. Rowland (NES registrar) at Christina.Rowland@pfisd.net
Coffee with the Principal
- On Monday, Feb. 6 I would like to invite our Northwest parents to coffee with me from 8:00-8:30 in the staff lounge.
- You can use this time to ask any general questions about myself, how the school is progressing, and for any upcoming events.
Parent Class No. 1: Supporting Students with Testing Anxiety
- Our counselor, Mrs. Herring, cordially invites all parents to our first parenting class, “Supporting Students With Testing Anxiety.”
- This class will teach our parents how to support and prepare their children for testing anxiety that typically comes when taking the STAAR Test.
- This is a free class that will be held Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 5:30-6:30 at the NES library.
- Pizza will be served directly after during our monthly PTO meeting.
Northwest Middle of the Year Parent Survey
- We are still looking for parents to complete our Middle of the Year Parent Survey
- Information collected will be utilized to better serve both students and parents here at NES.
Westview Middle School Instrument Petting Zoo
- The Westview Middle School band is opening their doors to allow fifth-grade students to try out instruments before they come to middle school.
- Any fifth-grade student with an interest in band is encouraged to attend the Instrument Petting Zoo.
NES School Report Card
- Attached you will find the NES school report card for the 2015-2016 school year
- Please join us on Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 5-8 p.m. at McDonald’s, located at 13813 Burnet Road for our 2nd McTeacher Night of the year.
- Your favorite teachers and staff will be there to serve your favorite McDonald’s food.
- A portion of the proceeds will be given to Northwest Elementary.
Adult ESL and Closed CampusPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/16/2017
Northwest Parents and Families,
We have had an amazing few weeks of 2017 so far. It has been so wonderful to see all of our students and staff after the long two-week break. Below are some offers and updates from our campus.
Northside Church Austin is offering free adult ESL classes. If you are interested, please visit the following website.
Northwest Elementary will be a closed campus Tuesday, Jan. 17, Wednesday, Jan. 18, and Thursday, Jan. 19 as our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students practice for the STAAR exam. This mock STAAR assessment will be used to support interventions for students for the remainder of the year. We keep the campus closed to all visitors to also practice real testing scenarios. If you have any questions about this, please speak with your child’s teacher. I apologize for any inconvenience.
I hope to see you all tomorrow at 1:45 as we celebrate our second Power of Positive Students (POPS) rally of the year! Have a great evening.
Happy New YearPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/7/2017
Welcome back! It’s been wonderful seeing all of our students and how much they have grown over the past two weeks. Over the break my wife and I had time to step away from work and spend much needed time with family both here in Texas and in Green Bay WI (GO PACKERS!). This time off allowed me to not only focus on my family, but to reflect on all of the positive learning taking place here at NES. I am extremely lucky and fortunate to be serving your children. I love my job!
We are gearing up for the very busy spring semester and have several events to look forward to!
NES Middle of the Year Parent Survey
At the beginning of the year, we sent out a parent survey to gage how our families felt about our campus. I would like to know how we are doing half way through the year. Please take a few minutes to fill out the middle of the year parent survey attached here. We will use this information to better serve you and our students here at NES.
Friday, Jan. 13
Please join us from 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. as we celebrate our students for outstanding achievement here at NES. Students will be recognized for:
· A, A/B Honor Roll, and other grade level academic achievements
· Star Pride Awards
· Student of the Month
· AR Goals
Tuesday, Jan. 24
NES Campus Academic Advisory Council (CAAC) Meeting
· Want to know what we are working on as a campus and how we are close we are to achieving our goals? Please join us from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and be an active participant in some very important decisions here at NES.
Thursday, Jan. 28
· NES Science Fair Exhibition from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
· NES PTO meeting (pizza provided) 6:30-7:30
Have a wonderful January! Stay warm!
CAAC and PTO meetingPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 11/8/2016
CAAC and Parent,
I hope you all are having a wonderful fall so far.
We will hold our next Campus Academic Advisory Council (CAAC) meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at Northwest Elementary from 3:30-4:30 in the library. Attached here you will find our agenda for this meeting. The majority of time will be spent completing a formative review of our campus improvement plan to ensure we are heading in the right direction.
In addition, we will have our next PTO meeting this Wednesday, Nov. 9 from 6:30-7:30 at the Northwest Elementary library. This is a change from the scheduled Tuesday, November 8th meeting due to the election.
Have a great week!
Principal Northwest Elementary