Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 20-24Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/20/2017
Happy Friday NES parents and families! I hope you had a wonderful week.
Our 4th and 5th grade students are gearing up for the first round of the STAAR test during the week of March 27-31. While the test is over a month away, teachers and interventionist will be supporting these students to prepare for the Math/Reading (5th grade) and Writing (4th Grade) in addition to their typical academics. As always, it is extremely important that students are in attendance, get plenty of rest, and come prepared each and every day so they may do their best. Your support will go a long way to ensure your student does their best at NES!
Coffee with the Principal
Coffee with the principal will now be held every Monday from 7:10-7:40 a.m. in order to increase parent participation. Please stop by the teacher’s lounge for fellowship or to ask questions that pertain to the school. So far I have learned so much about our families and gained new ideas as how our community can support our school.
Parent Class and PTO Night
Our first parenting class, Teaching Parents how to Support Students with Testing Anxiety, will be held this Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 5:30-6:30 in the NES library. Elementary age childcare will be provided.
Directly after the parenting class, we will have our monthly PTO meeting from 6:30-7:30 in the NES library. Pizza and elementary age childcare will be provided.
We encourage you to take advantage of the H-E-B Box Top promotion event, scheduled for February 8 through the 21st. Earn 100 Bonus Box Tops when you buy 15 participating Box Top products or 60 Bonus Box Tops when you buy 10. It’s a great time to stock up on Mott’s apple juice and applesauce, Green Giant frozen veggies, Annie’s snack foods, and General Mill cereals. Click here to see a full list of participating products.
Come support our school by purchasing scented pencils in the office before school (7:10 a.m. to 7:30 a.m.) and after school (2:45 p.m. to 3 p.m.). There are five different scents: Bubble Gum, Tutti Fruitti, Jelly Bean, Cotton Candy and Sour Apple. Cost is $1 per pencil and we have a limited supply. First come, first served. Thanks for your support!
No school: Monday, Feb. 20
Picking Up Students After School
At NES, student safety is a top priority. If you pick up your student after school we ask that you either wait in the drive through line or park, walk to your student using the crosswalk, and walk back to your vehicle.
Thank you for your support in ensuring a safe transition between our school and your vehicle.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 13-17Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/13/2017
Good morning Northwest Elementary parents! I hope you all are having a glorious Thursday.
Thank you to all of our parents and students that came out to McTeacher Night last night! We certainly had a blast in serving you all. Our next outing will be at Chick-Fil-A located at 12501 Mopac Service Road on Tuesday, April 4 from 5-8 p.m.
- The district has sent communication via School Messenger to all parents about things you can do to keep your child safe while walking to school. If you did not receive this message, I am attaching it here. While there have been no threats around the Northwest Elementary community, it is always good to be proactive in order to keep our students safe.
2015-2016 Federal Report Card
- Attached you will find the 2015-2016 NES Federal Report card. If you have any specific questions regarding this document, please let me know.
Time to Celebrate!
- Northwest Elementary named its Teacher of the year, Humanitarian of the Year and Rookie Teacher of the Year yesterday afternoon. If you have a chance to congratulate each of them, please do. Each award is given based on votes received from NES staff members. We are very proud of each of them!
- Teacher of the Year: Cynthia Hernandez (Math interventionist)
- Humanitarian of the Year: Sharla Wilkinson (Librarian)
- Rookie Teacher of the Year: Tammy Morrison (Fourth-grade teacher)
- All Valentine’s Day parties will be held in Tuesday, Feb. 14 from 1:45-2:40. You should be receiving communication from your child’s teacher regarding this event.
PTO Valentine’s Dance
- The PTO will host its annual Valentine’s Dance on Friday, Feb. 17 from 6:30-8:30 here at Northwest Elementary. We hope to see you there!
Northwest Elementary Update: Feb. 6-10Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 2/7/2017
Good morning Northwest Elementary Parents! I hope everyone is doing well.
Here are some updates and reminders for the week of Feb. 6-10.
Coffee With The Principal
- Beginning Monday, Feb. 6 please join me in the teacher’s lounge at Northwest Elementary for coffee! Time will be designated for the remaining of the year to get to know all of our student’s families and to ask questions pertaining to the school. Coffee With The Principal takes place each Monday from 8 a.m. to 8:30 a.m. Hope to see you then!
Mc Teacher Night
- Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 5-8 p.m.
- Come join the Northwest Elementary Staff as we serve you, the parents and students of NES at McDonalds located at 13813 Burnet Rd. in Austin. We will have our crew serving meals, selling pies, and even working in the drive through!
- Northwest Elementary will receive a percentage of all sales from 5-8, either inside or drive through.
Musical Club Performance, 'Alice in Wonderland'
- Friday, Feb. 10
- Performance 1: 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Performance 2: 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 11
- Performance 3: 2:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
- Northwest Elementary invites all families to our annual musical club performance, "Alice in Wonderland," on Friday, Feb. 10 and Saturday, Feb. 11. The musical club has performed at various Pflugerville ISD events including the PfISD convocation for all staff in the district. This show will surely be one of the best you have ever seen!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Northwest Update: Jan. 27Posted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/30/2017
Good afternoon Northwest Elementary parents! I hope you all are having a wonderful Friday.
Our campus continues to grow and change before our eyes. Last evening, over 50 parents and students showed up to school for our Science Fair Exhibition and PTO meeting. I was incredibly impressed with the complexity and amount of detail our second- to fifth-grade students put into their projects. It was truly a great evening!
Below are some updates for the month of February from Northwest Elementary.
Northwest Elementary Yearbook
- If you have any pictures of our students or staff that you would like to share, please send them to us for our 2016-2017 yearbook.
- All pictures can be sent to Mrs. Rowland (NES registrar) at Christina.Rowland@pfisd.net
Coffee with the Principal
- On Monday, Feb. 6 I would like to invite our Northwest parents to coffee with me from 8:00-8:30 in the staff lounge.
- You can use this time to ask any general questions about myself, how the school is progressing, and for any upcoming events.
Parent Class No. 1: Supporting Students with Testing Anxiety
- Our counselor, Mrs. Herring, cordially invites all parents to our first parenting class, “Supporting Students With Testing Anxiety.”
- This class will teach our parents how to support and prepare their children for testing anxiety that typically comes when taking the STAAR Test.
- This is a free class that will be held Tuesday, Feb. 21 from 5:30-6:30 at the NES library.
- Pizza will be served directly after during our monthly PTO meeting.
Northwest Middle of the Year Parent Survey
- We are still looking for parents to complete our Middle of the Year Parent Survey
- Information collected will be utilized to better serve both students and parents here at NES.
Westview Middle School Instrument Petting Zoo
- The Westview Middle School band is opening their doors to allow fifth-grade students to try out instruments before they come to middle school.
- Any fifth-grade student with an interest in band is encouraged to attend the Instrument Petting Zoo.
NES School Report Card
- Attached you will find the NES school report card for the 2015-2016 school year
- Please join us on Wednesday, Feb. 8 from 5-8 p.m. at McDonald’s, located at 13813 Burnet Road for our 2nd McTeacher Night of the year.
- Your favorite teachers and staff will be there to serve your favorite McDonald’s food.
- A portion of the proceeds will be given to Northwest Elementary.
Adult ESL and Closed CampusPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/16/2017
Northwest Parents and Families,
We have had an amazing few weeks of 2017 so far. It has been so wonderful to see all of our students and staff after the long two-week break. Below are some offers and updates from our campus.
Northside Church Austin is offering free adult ESL classes. If you are interested, please visit the following website.
Northwest Elementary will be a closed campus Tuesday, Jan. 17, Wednesday, Jan. 18, and Thursday, Jan. 19 as our 3rd, 4th, and 5th grade students practice for the STAAR exam. This mock STAAR assessment will be used to support interventions for students for the remainder of the year. We keep the campus closed to all visitors to also practice real testing scenarios. If you have any questions about this, please speak with your child’s teacher. I apologize for any inconvenience.
I hope to see you all tomorrow at 1:45 as we celebrate our second Power of Positive Students (POPS) rally of the year! Have a great evening.
Happy New YearPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 1/7/2017
Welcome back! It’s been wonderful seeing all of our students and how much they have grown over the past two weeks. Over the break my wife and I had time to step away from work and spend much needed time with family both here in Texas and in Green Bay WI (GO PACKERS!). This time off allowed me to not only focus on my family, but to reflect on all of the positive learning taking place here at NES. I am extremely lucky and fortunate to be serving your children. I love my job!
We are gearing up for the very busy spring semester and have several events to look forward to!
NES Middle of the Year Parent Survey
At the beginning of the year, we sent out a parent survey to gage how our families felt about our campus. I would like to know how we are doing half way through the year. Please take a few minutes to fill out the middle of the year parent survey attached here. We will use this information to better serve you and our students here at NES.
Friday, Jan. 13
Please join us from 1:45 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. as we celebrate our students for outstanding achievement here at NES. Students will be recognized for:
· A, A/B Honor Roll, and other grade level academic achievements
· Star Pride Awards
· Student of the Month
· AR Goals
Tuesday, Jan. 24
NES Campus Academic Advisory Council (CAAC) Meeting
· Want to know what we are working on as a campus and how we are close we are to achieving our goals? Please join us from 3:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. and be an active participant in some very important decisions here at NES.
Thursday, Jan. 28
· NES Science Fair Exhibition from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
· NES PTO meeting (pizza provided) 6:30-7:30
Have a wonderful January! Stay warm!
CAAC and PTO meetingPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 11/8/2016
CAAC and Parent,
I hope you all are having a wonderful fall so far.
We will hold our next Campus Academic Advisory Council (CAAC) meeting on Tuesday, Nov. 15 at Northwest Elementary from 3:30-4:30 in the library. Attached here you will find our agenda for this meeting. The majority of time will be spent completing a formative review of our campus improvement plan to ensure we are heading in the right direction.
In addition, we will have our next PTO meeting this Wednesday, Nov. 9 from 6:30-7:30 at the Northwest Elementary library. This is a change from the scheduled Tuesday, November 8th meeting due to the election.
Have a great week!
Principal Northwest Elementary
Fall updatePosted by Marcial Guajardo at 10/17/2016
We are reaching the end of the first 9 weeks of school. Next week, you should expect to see your child’s first report card for the year. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have any questions about the report card. Your classroom teacher should also be setting a parent/teacher conference time with you within the next two weeks. This will be a great way for you and your child’s teacher to communicate about how things are going so far this year.
Northwest Elementary is also seeking parents to support our Language Proficiency Assessment Committee (LPAC). The LPAC serves as the decision-making team for all students identified as English language Learners (ELLs)/Limited English Proficient (LEP) as well as students who are in the two-year monitoring period following exiting from LEP status. Please click here if you are interested in supporting the LPAC.
Below are some events taking place here at Northwest Elementary over the next month:
10/20/16 from 8:30-9:30: Attendance Bingo
10/21/16 from 1:45-2:15: Power of Positive Students (POPS) rally
10/21/16: Picture Day
10/26/16: Early Release (noon) and Parent Teacher Conference Half Day
10/27/16: Report Cards Sent Home
10/29/16: Fall Fest from 5-8 p.m.
11/4/16: PTO Movie Night from 5:30-8:30
11/8/16: PTO Meeting from 6:30-7:30
11/15/16: CAAC Meeting from 3:30-4:30
11/21/16-11/25/16: Thanksgiving Holiday Break
Have a wonderful week!
Principal Northwest Elementary
Upcoming eventsPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 9/12/2016
Hello! I hope you all are well on the wonderful third week of school.
It’s been a great first three weeks here at Northwest Elementary. Every morning, I am overwhelmed by the amount of parents coming to the school to drop of students. It is a complete joy to meet and greet all of you and your children. You all are truly wonderful to be around.
Below are some events scheduled to take place over the next few weeks. I hope to see each and every one of you at each event!
Northwest Elementary PTO Meeting
- This Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 6:30-7:30 p.m. at the Northwest Elementary Library, we will have our first PTO meeting for the year.
- We will be discussing the PTO calendar for the year and reviewing campus specific goals.
Northwest Elementary Mc. Teacher Night
- NES staff will be conducting our first fundraiser on Tuesday, Sept. 20 from 5-8 p.m. at the Mc Donald’s located at 13609 N IH-35, Austin, TX 78753.
- Our staff members will be serving food, greeting parents, and having a great time. Please see the flyer for more details.
I hope you all have a safe and relaxing weekend.
Principal Northwest Elementary
From Our PrincipalPosted by Marcial Guajardo at 8/15/2016 7:00:00 AM
Hello parents! Welcome to the 2016-2017 school year. I hope you and your family had a great summer.
My name is Nathan Steenport, your new principal here at Northwest Elementary. I come to NES with 11 years of educational experience from right here in Pflugerville ISD. My first seven years were spent at River Oaks Elementary as a third-, second-, and fifth-grade teacher. I left River Oaks in 2012 to serve Pflugerville Elementary as their assistant principal. I served Pflugerville Elementary for four years and am now happily joining the NES community as principal.
Since June 2, my administrative team and I have been hard at work to ensure a successful start to the new school year. Last week, our staff returned to school for our beginning-of-the-year PD conference here at NES. At this meeting, we discussed three key goals for the year:
Improve Campus Climate:
- Build Relationships between colleagues and students
- Systematic teamwork throughout the school
- Frequent and timely communication
- Parent input and support throughout campus
Build Responsive Classroom Communities:
- 2nd Step Curriculum (Skills for Social and Academic Success)
- Capturing Kids Hearts (Building Teacher/Student Relationships)
- Texas Teacher Evaluation and Support Systems (T-TESS): Focus on growth for every teacher
- Student Self-Monitoring of Academic Success
- Team Goals through Professional Learning Communities (PLC)
As stated above, a major goal this year will be to improve communication and support from you, our NES parents! In order to gain knowledge of your needs, my team created a parent survey for you to provide feedback. Once this data has been collected, we will share at our first PTO meeting on Tuesday, Sept. 13 from 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. here at NES. If you have not completed this survey, please use the following link here.
Thursday, Aug. 18:
- Meet The Teacher from 5:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.
- Meet The Principal from 6:30-8 p.m.
Tuesday, Aug. 23:
- First Day of School
Tuesday, Aug. 13 from 6:30-7:30 p.m.
- PTO meeting
I look forward to serving both you and your students this year. Please let me know if you have any questions.