2017-2018 Academic School Year Calendar
Pflugerville ISD Seeks Community Input on Draft of 2017-2018 Academic CalendarPflugerville ISD seeks community input as it develops the 2017-2018 academic school calendar. Community members can provide feedback by participating in the online survey below that will remain open through Friday, January 27, 2017. Before commenting on the calendar, please read the information below to understand the proposed calendar for next year, and view the proposed calendar on the right, or click here to view the calendar as a pdf.
Summary of Proposed 2017-2018 Calendar
The proposed calendar shows a start date of August 28, 2017, with an end date of June 6, 2018. The winter break will run from December 22-January 8.
Considerations/Parameters Taken into Account by the District Academic Advisory Council (DAAC) in Developing the 2017-2018 Calendar
- Includes the earliest possible starting date (August 28) under Texas Education Code, which states that a district may not begin instruction for students before the fourth Monday in August.
- Complies with the requirement of a minimum of 187 days of service for teachers.
- Professional Development days are front loaded so that the school year ends by June 6.
- Adding even one more Professional Development day during the school year would push the last day of school to the day before graduation, making it difficult for seniors and senior staff to prepare.
- Attempts to more evenly balance the number of school days among the fall and spring semester.
- Ends fall semester before Winter Break, which is advantageous for secondary students taking final exams.
- Complies with the requirement of at least 75,600 minutes of instruction for students.
- Allocates additional instructional minutes in anticipation of a loss of instructional time due to inclement weather.
- Includes one week of Thanksgiving Break.
- Includes two weeks of Winter Break.
- Aligns Spring Break with the University of Texas.
2017-2018 Draft Academic Calendar
The PfISD District Academic Advisory Council (DAAC), which includes teachers, staff, community and business members, is in favor of this proposed 2017-2018 academic calendar. The Board of Trustees is scheduled to vote on the calendar at its February meeting.
To provide input on the proposed 2017-2018 academic calendar, please complete the online survey by January 27, 2017.