UPDATE - 5/1/2020 - Due to current school closures, CBE windows have been updated. For our end of year test window, we will be able to offer online, remote CBE opportunities to current 3-12 grade students. Our test provider UT, has provided guidelines for remote, online testing. Campus counselors will be in touch with those registered for the End Of Year CBE testing. The deadline to submit registration was April 24. The deadline to register for summer CBE tests is May 28, 2020. Complete the level appropriate, fillable CBE form at the end of this page and email to your campus counselor for processing. Campuses will contact you to set up a testing time in the July 30 - August 7, 2020 window.
Credit by Exam - No prior instruction
Credit by Exam (CBE) is an assessment option which affords students the opportunity to accelerate their learning in Pflugerville ISD.
There are two types of Credit by Exam (state definitions):
1) Acceleration: Students meeting 90% standard can be considered for Kindergarten acceleration in addition to other social and academic checkpoints. Students meeting the 80% standard can be considered for grade level promotion (1-5) or can attain subject acceleration/credits (6-12). In order to qualify for this type of CBE, a student cannot have any prior instruction in the grade level or course for which they are seeking credit. Provision for this assessment is required by law (Texas Administrative Code §74.24). A school district must provide at least four testing testing windows annually for this assessment (see dates below). 2) Recovery: Students wishing to recover credits (9-12) or be considered for grade level promotion (K-8; generally, only students who were held back a grade qualify for this assessment) can arrange with a participating testing organization to take this test. School districts ARE NOT required to provide these assessments. If a student wishes to take this type of CBE, a parent/guardian must make arrangements directly with a participating testing organization offering CBEs.
Credit by Exam for Acceleration Local Procedures and Processes:
With the exception of Kindergarten, all students will need to meet the 80% or above standard for each course taken in order to be considered for promotion or credit. In grades K-8 students need to meet the 80% or above standard in all core subjects listed at the grade level for promotion. Students may only accelerate past one level per year. In grades 9-12, students may accelerate by single subject. CBE's may only be attempted once per testing window and only two total attempts may be offered.
KindergartenAcceleration out of kindergarten is based upon both academic and social skills criteria. Students must meet the 90% standard on each of 4 tests: language arts, math, science, & social studies in addition to other social and academic checkpoints. Kinder CBE testing may only be attempted one time. There are two testing windows to choose from: summer or fall. 1st - 5th grades Students must meet the 80% standard on each of 4 tests: language arts, math, science, & social studies. 6th Grade Students must meet the 80% standard on each of 4 tests: language arts, math, science, & social studies 7th Grade Students must meet the 80% standard on each of 4 tests: language arts, math, science, Texas History & Geography 8th Grade Students must meet the 80% standard on each of 4 tests: language arts, math, science, U.S. History & citizenship 9th - 12th grades Students must meet the 80% standard on any of the following course exams:
Course ExamsCredit by Exam for Acceleration Timeline
FOR HIGH SCHOOL STUDENTS:
**Credit by examination, TEC 28.023(c) requires a school district to award a student credit on the basis of a successful score on an examination and to enter the examination score on the student's transcript. Students may use credit by examination to fulfill their course requirements.
CBE Testing Windows - Pflugerville ISD
2020 - 2021
Early Spring 19-20
February 18 – March 13, 2020
January 31, 2020
Administration for acceleration in one semester and high school courses only. (Exams in this window have been extended due to closures. Result reporting has also been extended/delayed through May. Seniors needing testing must be complete by May 21.)
End of Year 19-20
May 11 - June 5, 2020
April 24, 2020
Due to school closures - students will test remotely, online. Grades K-2 are unable to test remotely. These grade levels can test in the summer 2020 window. Campus CBE test coordinator will communicate testing protocols and processes to registered students.
July 30 – August 7, 2020
May 28, 2020
Registered students will be contacted by campus with testing format and date.
Fall 2020 - 2021
August 31 - September 18, 2020
August 17, 2020
Registered students will be contacted by campus with test date.
Winter 2020 -2021
November 16 - December 11, 2020 October 30, 2020 6-12 Administration for acceleration in one semester and high school courses only. Registered students will be contacted by campus with test date. Early Spring 2021 February 16 - March 5, 2021 January 29, 2021 6-12 Administration for acceleration in one semester and high school courses only. Registered students will be contacted by campus with test date. End of Year 2020-2021
May 3 - 28, 2021
April 16, 2021 K-12 Registered students will be contacted by campus with test date.CBE for Acceleration Forms and Resources
- Grades K-5: Elementary - English
- Grades K-5: Elementary-Spanish
- Grades 6-8: Middle School - English
- Grades 6-8: Middle School - Spanish
- Grades 9-12: High School - English
- Grades 9-12: High School - Spanish
- Grades K-12: Study Guides - The University of Texas
- Grades K-12: Study Guides - Texas Tech University
All tests will be ordered from The University of Texas unless there is no test available in which the test will come from Texas Tech University. Learn more about the exams at: University of Texas| Texas Tech University
Please contact your child's school counselor for information and registration. All registrations must come from PfISD campuses to ensure that correct exams are requested. Most CBE's in PfISD are ordered through the University of Texas.