- Dessau Middle School
- Principal's Blog
DMS Principal's Message to FamiliesPosted by Valerie Torres-Solis on 3/24/2020 9:00:00 AM
March 24, 2020
Hello Dessau Middle School Families,
We hope all of you are doing well, staying safe and healthy. Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your families as we work together towards focusing on keeping each other healthy. Please know this is our top priority. Dessau is a distribution site for grab-and-go meals. Meals will be available for curbside pickup from 8-9 a.m. for breakfast and 11 a.m.-1 p.m. for lunch. This program serves students 18 and younger regardless of Pflugerville ISD residency or enrollment. Families can pick up meals curbside in the carpool lanes at the campuses listed below. Students must be present in order to receive meals. Parents may pick up breakfast and lunch at the same time. For those who do not drive and need to walk to pick up the meal, you will be allowed to walk and pick them up to go. Access to enter the buildings will not be available.
Please take care of yourself and your families. We will be communicating more information as we receive it. We appreciate your flexibility as we all navigate this together. We would like to ensure that our students stay focused on their greatness during this challenging time. Our purpose will be to uplift and nurture our students and each other. With all the unknowns let’s continue to stay positive and uplift those around us.
Thank you for your care and concern for one another, our students and families!! We got this!! We are Dessau Proud!!
Dessau Middle School Principal
Please see below for important further district information below-
- Need to Pick Up Medications: In an effort to assist our parents, all campus nurses will be at their campuses on Wednesday and Thursday from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m.to allow for a curbside medication pick up. A parent or guardian must pick up the medication and sign for it. We will only be offering curbside pickup in order to practice social distancing. Please be patient as all medications are locked up in the office, and each student’s medication must be retrieved individually from the office by the nurse.
- School Events Information: Events and activities after school and outside of school, including any pending field trips or gatherings, have been canceled for one week following our return to school. As it stands today, that means we have canceled any events, activities, or trips through April 10. We are anticipating these events will not be rescheduled given the current environment and the busy schedule already in place for the remainder of the school year. I will keep you posted each week as the picture becomes clearer.
- Resources for talking with our kids about COVID-19:
We all respond to stress in different ways, and it can be very challenging as an who is navigating this territory to also attend to the emotional needs of our children. Following are a couple of resources that may help (some of the information pre-dates the actual outbreak, but the core talking points are relevant).
- DMS Counselor information: In addition to these parent resources, our school counselors are here and available to assist if your child is having an unexpectedly difficult time coping. Norma.Guerra@pfisd.net (6th Grade), Erika.Gonzalez@pfisd.net (7th Grade), Sally.Stone@pfisd.net (8th Grade), and our Crisis Counselor, Monica.Gutierrezherrera@pfisd.net are only an email away these next two weeks.
- Additional Resources:
- National Association of School Psychologists: Talking to Children About COVID-19: A Parent Resource
- Child Mind Institute: Talking to Kids About the Coronavirus
- PfISD web page maintained by our Health Services Department: http://www.pfisd.net/covid-19.