- Spring Hill Elementary School
A+ and DLE tournaments
Feb. 20, 2020
Ladies and gentlemen, your 2020 academic champions are Highland Park and Parmer Lane elementary schools!
Highland Park captured first place overall in the Pflugerville ISD Elementary UIL A+ Academic District Tournament on Feb. 1 at Pflugerville High School. They were joined by Parmer Lane, which took home the top prize in the Elementary Dual Language Enrichment Academic Meet, also held the same day at PHS.
Twenty PfISD elementary campuses participated in the UIL A+ tournament on Feb. 1. The district’s 11 dual language campuses took part in the dual language event. Both events support grades 2-5.
A total of 493 competitors registered for the A+ Academic tournament, while 146 participants registered for the dual language meet.
UIL tournament events were Chess, Creative Writing, Number Sense, Oral Reading, Ready Writing, Social Studies, Spelling and Storytelling.
Dual Language Enrichment meet categories were Creative Writing, Oral Reading, Ready Writing, Spelling and Storytelling.
The district also hosted its 12th annual Geography Showcase on Feb. 1 at Pflugerville High School. Seventh-grade student Adam Duong of Park Crest Middle School captured first place overall at the event.
Eighth-grade student Taylor Hayes of Kelly Lane Middle School and fourth-grader Evan Dossett of Windermere Elementary School finished second and third overall, respectively.
The Geography Showcase celebrates geography education in grades 4-8. The contestants, all campus winners of the National Geographic Bee competition, answer questions about local, state, national and world geography.
Campus winners also took a qualifying test in hopes of participating in the state contest on March 27. Winners at the state level advance to the National Geographic Bee in Washington, D.C. in May.
PfISD Elementary UIL A+ Academic District Tournament individual winners:
- Chess (2nd Grade): Ittai Paul (Rowe Lane)
- Chess (3rd Grade): Yanis Saoa (Windermere)
- Chess (4th Grade): Zaid Al-Jaber (Highland Park)
- Chess (5th Grade): Ridwan Chowdhury (Highland Park)
- Creative Writing: Elise Fish (Riojas)
- Number Sense: Brian Ha (Wieland)
- Oral Reading: Atzi Flores (Spring Hill)
- Ready Writing (3rd and 4th Grades): Giselle Mejia (Mott)
- Ready Writing (5th): Bently Krizin (Windermere)
- Spelling (3rd and 4th): Kaila Sproul (Highland Park)
- Spelling (5th): Kyle Franco (Highland Park)
- Storytelling: Hunter Guckian (Copperfield)
- Social Studies: Elijah Duvvuri (Murchison)
Elementary Dual Language Enrichment Academic Meet individual winners:
- Creative Writing (2nd Grade): Julieta Robledo (River Oaks)
- Oral Reading (4th and 5th Grades): Sheila Navarro (Highland Park)
- Ready Writing (3rd and 4th Grades): Fernanda Girón (Highland Park)
- Reading Writing (5th Grade): Ashley Palacios (Parmer Lane)
- Spelling (3rd and 4th): David Morales (Barron)
- Spelling (5th): Alisson Sanchez (Highland Park)
- Storytelling (1st Grade): Maylin Ordaz (Copperfield)
- Storytelling (2nd and 3rd): Lukas Rodriguez (Copperfield)